Sunday, July 19, 2009

The week from Hell...literally...

This past week was just horrible....

SO two weeks ago Marissa got sick, well not fever sick, but developed this horrible (and annoying) cough that just lingered..then this past Tuesday Max wakes up with this horrible cough that sounded like a "barking seal" so right away I call an advice nurse and she refers me to an urgent care off post. I take Max in, we were the first people there and we got seen right away. Diagnosis: the Croup. Never had to deal with that before but since we had caught it early the doc prescribed me some oral steroid and told me to put a cool mist humidifier in is room. No problem, I wasn't too concerned cause Max seemed fine and only coughed once in a blue moon.

So two days go by , then on Thursday, I notice that the cough was more frequent and that he had a runny nose and was just really whiny.. I put him to bed that night and he slept for a good hour and then started to cough alot in his sleep, then around 10:30 pm he wakes up crying and started to sound like he was having difficulty breathing..so what do I do? Pack him up and take him to the ER known as SLOWmack (Womack). We get there and they take his vitals and see that he was running a low grade fever which then went down 30 min later after they gave him Tylenol...oh and by the way he weighs 23 lbs! hahaha....SO then we go back to the waiting room where we waited almost 2 hours, I was starting to get really upset when Max had a coughing spell as a nurse was walking by, she heard him and came right over and asked if he had been seen yet, I say no, and everyone else in the waiting room who had gotten there before us was suggesting that he get seen right away, the the nurse takes us back and started Max on a breathing treatment with a Nebulizer while we waited for the Doctor.

I was actually really impressed with how quickly things went after that. The doc came in, checked his breathing, his vitals, commented on how adorable he was and how funny it was that he was "Healthy looking" he then gave Max an oral steroid with some Motrin and basically told me to keep doing what I was doing and explained that with the Croup you will always have one bad night and then the rest are better and that it always gets worse at night.

So after that I pack him up , got some meds and headed home....it was almost 3 am by then..

So I get off post and head home...and next thing I know, I'm being pulled over....fantastic...The cop comes over and sees that I have an infant in the car and I explain that I had been at the ER since 11 pm and that I was just wanting to get home and didn't realize how fast I was going, he completely understood and let me go with a warning and a lecture about speeding...I almost lost it on the way home...but I sucked it up and held it in.

So fast forward to today, Sunday..he is much much better, still has a little cough but it sounds like a normal cough, no more "barking seal" as they call it. SO I am in much better spirits today...

He has his 6 month well baby check up on Monday so I will be updating you all on his stats!

Here are a couple pics of his chunkiness, and one of him asleep in his crib, Yes I finally started putting him in his crib for nap times and he loves it! No more napping in the swing...since he is obviously getting way to big for it.hahaha... My little fat man!






What a total Jay face...he is such a carbon copy of his dad!




For some strange reason he likes to grab on to the bumper when he sleeps hehe


On a side note...my little princess has been a huge help with Max and is always so sweet to him . She also has been pee peeing in the potty or as she calls it "my special toilet" once or twice almost daily, she still goes in her pull up but not as often , usually she will use the potty before bath time and then again before bed time...hey that's a start right??? And little miss thing does not want a little potty, or the pink toilet seat that goes on the big toilet, she wants to use the big potty like mommy does...so she sits on it and I have to hold her to make sure she won't fall in...I am so excited about this, my little baby is growing up!

1 comment:

  1. That is a horrible day! So sorry Max was sick. It really sucks when you are worried about their breathing. Glad he is doing better now though!

    ReplyDelete